As per the records of the Central Processing Cell (TDS), you have filed TDS Statements for Q1, FY 2013-14, however, no TDS Statements have been filed for the said Quarter in FY 2014-15 as yet.
If you are not required to submit the relevant statement, you are requested to submit a declaration by taking appropriate action as suggested under “Action to be taken” in this communication. Otherwise, your urgent attention is invited to relevant CBDT circulars and provisions of the Income Tax Act, mandating filing of TDS Statements and Issuance of TDS Certificates downloaded from TRACES.
1. Mandatory filing of TDS Statements:
Please refer to the provisions of section 200(3) of the Income Tax Act, 1961 read with Rule 31A which read as follows:
Every person responsible for deduction of tax under Chapter XVII-B, shall, in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (3) of section 200, deliver, or cause to be delivered, the following quarterly statements to the Director General of Income tax (systems) or the person authorized by the Director General of Income Tax (Systems), namely:
- Statement of deduction of tax under section 194 in Form 24Q (For Salary)
- Statement of Deduction of tax under section 193 to 196D in- Form no. 27Q in respect of the deductee who is non-resident not being a company or foreign company or resident but not ordinarily resident; and
- Form no. 26Q in respect of all other deductees
It is, therefore, advised to file the applicable TDS Statements at the earliest to comply with the above provisions.
2. Implications of Non / Late filing of TDS statements:
- For deductors: In case of late filing of TDS Statements, a fee shall be levied on the deduction u/s 234E of the IT Act which reads as under:
- Where a person fails to deliver or cause to be delivered a statement with in the time prescribed in sub-section (3) of section 200 or the proviso to sub section(3) of section 206C, he shall be liable to pay, by way of fee, a sum of two hundred rupees for every day during which the failure continues
- For Tax Payers: Non / Late Filing of TDS Statements results into the TDS Credit not being available to the deductees. They, therefore, will not be able to claim the credit for tax already deducted from the payments made to them. Please not that TDS Credit will not be available until the TDS Statement are duly filed.
3. Actions to be taken:
- Please file the relevant TDS statement without any further delay.
- If you are not required to file the same, please submit a declaration for non-filing on TRACES. For this purpose, you can login to TRACES, navigate to “Statements/ Payments” menu and submit details under “Declaration for non-filing of Statements”.
- Issue TDS certificates after generating and downloading the same from TRACES. TDS Certificates downloaded from TRACES Portal will be valid.