Income from sale of property subject to capital gains tax

I am a
non-resident Indian (NRI) and want to purchase property in India. Later on, if
I want to sell the property, how will this transaction be taxed? Is the way to
save on long-term capital gains (LTCG) the same as that for a resident Indian?

As per
Indian tax laws, income earned from the sale of property is subject to capital
gains tax. Gain arising from transfer of long-term property (i.e., property
held for more than 36 months) is considered as LTCG. It is taxed at the rate of
20% (excluding surcharge and education cess).
If before
the transfer date, the property was held for a period of 36 months or less,
then gain will be short-term capital gain and will be taxable at progressive
tax rates ranging from 10% to 30% (excluding surcharge and education cess).
LTCG can
be claimed exempt to the extent it is re-invested in India in specified bonds
or a residential house (to be either purchased within two years or constructed
within three years of transfer of property). There are certain restrictions,
however, on the sale of the new asset purchased and the quantum of investment
that can be made in bonds.
If due to
some reason, the capital gains remain un-invested until the due date of filing
of tax return in India (i.e., 31 July), then there is the option to put the
amount of capital gains into a Capital Gains Account Scheme with a bank (not
later than the due date of filing your India tax return). And then you can
subsequently withdraw this amount for the purpose of reinvestment.
If a
nephew, who is a US citizen, were to gift shares in his foreign company to his
father’s brother, who is a resident Indian, would the uncle have to pay gift
tax in India?
There is
no gift tax as such in India. However, income tax is levied on the recipient of
any sum of money, movable property or immovable property if received by that
individual in India without consideration (i.e., without a quid pro quo),
except where such gifts are received from a relative.
The definition of the term “relative” under the Income-tax Act, 1961, includes
spouse, maternal or paternal aunts and uncles (and their respective spouses)
and the individual and his spouse’s siblings, grandparents, parents, children
and grandchildren (and their respective spouses).

RECOMMENDED READ  Gold and Silver Rates from 1981 to 2013
Latest Comments
  1. Ganesh Kumar

    Great article. You have shared very useful ideas to gain from tax. Thank you. Looking for buy a apartments or flats or house in Salem visit
    House for Sale in Salem
    Apartments for Sale in Salem
    Flats for Sale in Salem

Leave a Reply

Written by

Optimization WordPress Plugins & Solutions by W3 EDGE
%d bloggers like this: